Centrelink Payments


Some patients and their carers may be eligible for financial assistance through Centrelink depending on their income and assets. Common payments include: Sickness Allowance, Newstart Allowance (incapacitated) and Carer Allowance. Some patients may also be eligible for a ‘Low Income Health Care Card’.

For more information visit a Centrelink office or the website at www.humanservices.gov.au or speak to your Social Worker.



Financial Counselling

If you are having difficulty managing your finances or feeling stressed by debts and bills you may benefit from seeing a Financial Counsellor. Financial Counsellors often work out of Community Health Centres. Call Financial Counselling Australia on 1800 007 007 for your nearest counselling service or visit www.financialcounsellingaustralia.org.au for a listing of counsellors in your area.


Early Access to Superannuation


Some people may be eligible for early access to their superannuation fund based on their illness and/or disability. The Department of Human Services (DHS) has comprehensive information about this. Click here to visit the DHS site. Contact your Social Worker if you need assistance with this process.



Income Protection Policies


Some patients may have taken out income protection policies through their banks, superannuation funds or health insurers. You are advised to contact your policy provider for instructions on how to make a claim for income protection payments. Contact your Social Worker if you require assistance with this process.



Money Smart

The Money Smart website was developed by the Australian Securities and Investment Commission. It offers calculators and tips to help you make better financial decisions and features topics such as: ‘Being a carer’ and ‘Dealing with Illness’.


To learn more visit: www.moneysmart.gov.au 


Diary Dates

Latest News from LTU

  • No posts to display.
Go to top