× Welcome to the Vic Transplant Unit Forum!

Risk of contracting glandular fever

More
7 years 8 months ago #45 by DSstaff
Replied by DSstaff on topic Risk of contracting glandular fever
Hi there,

We are so sorry for the late reply - this post was somehow missed!!
Because your immune system is reduced due to your medication, you are slightly more vulnerable to infection than somebody who hasn't had a transplant. With regards to glandular fever specifically, please chat to the midecal staff at your next clinic appointtment, or if you think that you have been exposed please contact the transplant coordinators for follow up as soon as possible. Treatment will be different for patients depending on serology and exposure.

We hope this is helpful!

Dan and Jules
The following user(s) said Thank You: mschack15@gmail.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #29 by mschack15@gmail.com
Risk of contracting glandular fever was created by mschack15@gmail.com
I am a liver transplant recipient. Am I at increased risk if I come in contact with a person with glandular fever? What precautions should I take?. I have read that Glandular fever is spread through saliva and can be spread through kissing, exposure to coughs and sneezes, or sharing eating and drinking utensils (such as cups, glasses and unwashed forks and spoons). I have also read that someone with glandular fever is contagious for at least two months after initially being infected with the Epstein-Barr virus (EBV), and that some people can have EBV in their saliva for up to 18 months after having the infection (with a few having the virus in their saliva on and off for years)
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by mschack15@gmail.com. Reason: Duplicate message plus should be in "post transplant" rather than welcome

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Diary Dates

Latest News from LTU

• No posts to display.
Go to top